The partnership of three years has been finally stretched to its maximum.
Toronto’s Daniel Nestor and current partner Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia made the decision to finish one of the most productive tennis duos in recent years.
The duo will play four more tournaments, including the Shanghai Masters on Thursday, before season’s end.
Nestor was not hurt with the news after Zimonjic announced in Beijing last week he would continue his doubles career with Frenchman Michael Llodra.
“It was not tough at all to get the news,” Nestor told The Canadian Press after Wednesday’s practice before their opening game in that tournament.
“He might have mentioned it earlier, like at the U.S. Open, but Nenad said the decision only came when he was at home in Belgrade after the Open.”
According to Nestor, the inconsistency this season combined with Zimonjic’s elbow injury, were strong factors in the split.
Despite having painful losses, like the one at Wimbledon where they lost in the second round, the 38-year-old expected to have a balance in their game.
“We’ve had some great wins but also some early losses,” Nestor said.
“I always thought we could turn it around this season, I was optimistic. But I had in the back of my mind that this could end sometime.”
The left-hander will now join forces with Belorussian Max Mirnyi and is expecting to have a smooth transition with him next season.
Both athletes once played together in 2000 when Nestor was coming back from surgery.
“I had actually been thinking of Max, whose style is similar to Nenad’s. It should not be too difficult to make the switch. They’re both big hitters.
“I rang Max from Beijing and we talked. It all worked out for us,” said Nestor.
Canada’s player assured his relationship with Zimonjic finished on good terms, and wishes him all the best for future.
“There are no hard feelings,” he said. “In the end it’s about business anyway. I think Nenad will do well with Llodra and I don’t blame him at all for any of this.”