“I’m aware of the hurtful nature of my comments,” is how Councillor Rob Ford started his apology on Tuesday.
The former mayor and current Ward 2 councillor apologized at city council for his past behaviour.
But the apology may have come too late, some say.
“Wow. This is the man who almost singlehandedly defined the aggressive, bulls**t non-apology, refusing on several occasions to make proper amends for previous slurs,” journalist John Barber said in an email exchange. “Now he is a model of sincere contrition.”
Barber was the journalist who was accused by Mayor Rob Ford and Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti of calling Ford a “fat f**k” in 2008.
However, Samuel Getachew, whose formal complaint to Toronto’s Integrity Commissionaire about racial slurs led to the apology, accepted Ford’s apology and wished him a speedy recovery.
The Ethiopian–Canadian Toronto resident was in attendance to witness the apology.
“I wish to offer my heartfelt apology for my words and action,” Ford said.
It is an surprising turn of events since Ford has stayed unapologetic for most of his past indiscretions
“It’s very effective! Imagine if he had been able to go to the same place a few years ago,” said Barber.