The city is making changes in traffic conditions to improve traffic flow along Queen Street East, east of Parliament Street, as well as along Broadview Avenue and Kingston Road in an effort to minimize traffic congestion and improve the flow of streetcars during rush hour periods.
Installation of new signs for the new stopping and parking regulations, as well as turn restrictions took place this week and enforcement will begin April 25.
The following changes are being made to weekday No Stopping and No Parking hours:
• Eastbound Queen Street East between Woodbine Avenue and Wineva Avenue: extended from current 4 to 6 p.m. to new hours of 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
• Eastbound Queen Street East between Carroll Street and Broadview Avenue: extended from current 4 to 6 p.m. to new 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
• Northbound Broadview Avenue between Millbrook Crescent and Danforth Avenue: extended from current 4 to 6 p.m. to new 4 to 6:30 p.m.
• Eastbound Kingston Road between Glen Manor Drive and Victoria Park Avenue: extended from current 4 to 6 p.m. to new 3 to 7 p.m.
• Westbound Kingston Road between Scarborough Road and Main Street/Southwood Drive: extended from current 7 to 9 a.m. to new 7 to 10 a.m.
These changes bring the area more in line with downtown Toronto restrictions.
In addition, the following turn restrictions will now be in place:
• Westbound left-turn prohibition extended to 7 to 10 a.m. Monday to Friday from Kingston Road at Balsam Avenue, Glen Manor Drive, Silver Birch Avenue, Southwood Drive, Winthorpe Road, and Scarborough Road.
• Eastbound left-turn prohibition extended to 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday from Queen Street East at Broadview Avenue.
• Eastbound left-turn prohibition extended to 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Friday from Queen Street East at Woodbine Avenue.
Jacquelyn Hayward Gulati, transportation and infrastructure manager for the city, said sign installation has been completed as of April 11.
“It’s really about improving service for transit users,” she said. “These corridors move the most people who take transit.”