53 Mallory Crescent.

Excavation begins at residence linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

Investigators dig in the backyard of Leaside home after the remains of Andrew Kinsman were discovered in planters

Beyond the crime scene tape at 53 Mallory Cres. Friday, Canada’s only full time forensic anthropologist Kathy Gruspier worked alongside units from Durham regional police and two police central field command trucks.

Toronto police and forensics teams begin excavation of Leaside property.  (RUSHANTHI KESUNATHAN/ TORONTO OBSERVER)

Investigators carried shovels, lights, gas tanks and large bags full of tools into the tent behind the house Friday morning, beginning the excavation in search of human remains tied to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

Gruspier said little, except that the excavation process is going “very well.”

Due to weather, excavation had been postponed up until now.

Toronto police have finally allowed the homeowners to return home, ending a three-week long investigation inside the property.

The homeowners have not yet moved back.

The search beneath the soil began in the wake of Thursday’s announcement from Toronto police: officials confirmed the remains of Andrew Kinsman, and five others, who have yet to be identified, were discovered in garden planters confiscated from the property Jan. 30.

Neighbours are aggravated by the media attention surrounding the investigation. This has intensified greatly since the identification of Kinsman’s remains.

McArthur, 66, was charged with five counts of murder, and police said there will likely be more charges. The homeowners said the suspect used their Leaside property to store his landscaping business equipment while in turn providing the owners with gardening services.