Marlies shut out Phantoms 3-0

Forward Ryan Hamilton’s two goal night lifted the Toronto Marlies to a 3-0 win over the Adirondack Phantoms at Ricoh Coliseum Friday night.
It was Hamilton’s second two-goal game of his career and that helped Toronto snap a two game losing streak.
And it was also goalie Joey MacDonald’s first shutout of the season. The 6-foot-2 Oshawa forward scored what would be the eventual game winner seven minutes into the opening frame.

He managed to break free from a check along the boards and get a weak shot on net. Phantoms goalie Nic Riopel couldn’t handle the rebound and Hamilton’s second whack at the puck trickled through Riopel’s pads.

His second tally of the game came 10:29 into the third period, when a one-timer beat Riopel’s outstretched glove for the game’s third goal.

MacDonald played quite well throughout the game for his second win of the season in as many starts. He won the Marlies opener against the Hamilton Bulldogs on Oct. 8.

The Pictou, N.S. native stopped 18 shots to earn his first shutout as a Marlie. His counterpart Riopel stopped 22 shots in the loss.

Toronto (4-3-1-1) also had a couple of firsts happen during the game.

Forward Greg Scott earned his first AHL point when he fed Hamilton the puck on his second goal, while forward Viktor Stalberg earned his first AHL regular season point on defenceman Juraj Mikus’ first tally of the season.

Forward Mike Zigomanis also earned two assists on the night.

Both Marlies first period goals were as a result of hard work. Mikus fought off a couple of a checks and deposited his second of the season past Riopel with 4:48 left in the frame.

Toronto dominated the majority of the period outshoting Adirondack 14-4. The only Phantoms shot in the second half of the period came shorthanded, when Hanson turned the puck over at the blueline.

The Marlies got out to a quick start scoring twice in the first period courtesy of Hamilton and Mikus.

In the second period, Toronto clamped down on defence. In the first eight games of the season, the Marlies have been outscored 14-6 and have given up 94 shots on goal.

The Phantoms tested MacDonald with just over five minutes remaining in the middle frame. Nodl had a good chance on the power play down close where MacDonald had to reach behind him to ensure he actually made the save.

Marlies are up next on Sunday afternoon against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

About this article

By: Jim Humphrey
Posted: Oct 30 2009 7:42 pm
Filed under: Hockey Sports