The Observer asked the people who know the roads the best how to have a safe winter this year. Here are some driving and walking safety tips that city workers, who clear the roads, stressed this winter:
- All seasons or snow tires should be on by now, since it is winter. Good new, unworn winter tires are a must for these conditions.
- Drive slowly and defensively.
- Keep your distance and be alert.
- Watch out for black ice on the ground
- You should shovel the sidewalk in front of your house or make sure your landlord does it.
- You should wash or at least rinse your car a few times in the winter, because people complain about salt eating away at their cars.