The RCMP are warning all Canadians to be wary when donating to charities – they could be swindling you.
Since the increase in donations for Haiti relief efforts, fraud has been on the rise. When contributing to a charity consider the following:
- Ask for written information about the organization like its name, address and telephone number
- Find out how your donation will be used
- Ask for proof of your donation to use for tax deduction purposes
- Ask for the registered charitable tax number of the charity
- Confirm the charity is registered by calling Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-267-2384
- Ask the solicitor for identification, if he or she cannot provide one do not continue talking with them. Immediately report the incident to law enforcement officials
- Double check the name of the charity as some fraudulent charities use names very similar to reputable organizations
- Be suspicious of those who thank you for a pledge you do not recall making
To report any incidences contact your local police force. You may also file a complaint by calling the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.