Firefighters were called to the scene of a house that was engulfed in flames at Pape and Cosburn avenues early Tuesday morning.
The fire originated in the basement of a house on Torrens Avenue at around 7:45 a.m.
“One occupant of the residence [and one firefighter have] been sent to East General as a precaution, for smoke inhalation,” says Acting Platoon Chief Mike Swift.
Neighbours woke up Tuesday morning to the chaos of fire trucks and officials rushing them out of their homes.
Shannon Dilbasi was evacuated from her home so quickly she didn’t even have a chance to get dressed.
“I looked out of my kitchen window and there were flames coming out almost to our house,” says Dibalsi.
Neighbours were gathered and taken down the street to William Burgess Public School, where teachers provided children with the chance to eat breakfast and get dressed.
Swift said the fire seemed to be accidental in nature but the fire department was in the process of looking for hot spots.
The fire was contained at around 9 a.m. but officials stayed on scene to complete their investigation.