Generals storm back to beat Guelph 5-4

Oshawa went down 3-0 before finding four unanswered goals

Medric Mercier celebrates his first point as an Oshawa General when assisting on Anthony Cirelli's goal. Oshawa won the game 5-4 after coming back from a 3-0 deficit. Adam Kirshenblatt/Toronto Observer

OSHAWA, Ont.— Kenny Huether scored the game winner at 2:09 of overtime as the Oshawa Generals came back to beat the Guelph Storm 5-4 in Sunday night OHL action.

Huether cleaned up Riley Stillman’s rebound on a fast break to beat Storm goalie Liam Herbst to score the game winner.

Anthony Cirelli, Domenic Commisso, and Jack Studnicka also scored for the Generals (7-5-0) while Danil Antropov, son of former Maple Leaf, Nik Antropov, scored his first career OHL goal and added an assist.

Guelph (5-7-1) stormed to an early 3-0 lead with goals from Isaac Ratcliffe, Nic Sicoly, and Givani Smith but were unable to hold off the Generals attack. James McEwan scored in the last minute of the third to give the Storm a chance to win in overtime.

Jeremy Brodeur received the win after coming in relief of Kyle Keyser at the beginning of the second period, stopping 19 of 20 shots. Herbst stopped 31 of 36 shots in the loss, dropping his personal record to 3-5-1.

Danil Antropov scored his first career OHL goal on Sunday night. He is the son of former Maple Leaf, Nik Antropov.

Danil Antropov scored his first career OHL goal and assisted on the game tying goal on Sunday night. He is the son of former Maple Leaf, Nik Antropov. (Ontario Hockey League)

Scoring started midway through the first period when Ratcliffe got the puck in front of the Generals net and shot it between his legs and past Keyser to give the Storm an early 1-0 lead.

A few seconds later, Guelph rolled back into the Generals zone and Sicoly jammed the puck through Keyser’s legs to give his team a two-goal buffer.

Near the end of the first, Smith walked around Medric Mercier at the Oshawa blueline and took a shot from the half-boards that trickled past the goaltender to increase the Storm’s lead to 3-0.

Goalie change works like a charm

Early going in the second, with Brodeur now in net in place of Keyser, Cirelli cleaned up a loose puck in front of the Storm net and backhanded it into the empty cage to cut Guelph’s lead to 3-1.

Seconds later, Commisso walked around Herbst’s net and snuck a backhand shot on his short side from a bad angle to make it a one goal deficit for the Generals.

Shortly after Commisso’s goal, the Generals found themselves on a two-man advantage for almost the full two minutes when Garrett McFadden and Kyle Rhodes were sent to the box for crosschecking and delay of game respectively.

However, the Storm were able to kill it off to maintain their one goal lead.

Late in the frame, Studnicka grabbed the puck in the Storm’s corner and threw it on net from a bad angle. The puck found a way into Herbst’s net to complete the comeback for the Generals.

Early in the third period, Commisso threw the puck around the Storm net where it bounced out in front for Antropov who banged it past Herbst to score his first career OHL goal and gave the Generals their fourth unanswered goal.

In the latter stages of the third, with Herbst pulled for an extra attacker, Storm forward McEwan cleaned up a Brodeur rebound to tie the game with less than a minute to play.

That sent the game to overtime where Oshawa found the winner.

Generals have won four of their last five games as they go on a Northern Ontario road trip to take on North Bay and Sudbury on Thursday and Friday. They will return home to face the Mississauga Steelheads on Oct. 30.

Oshawa’s victory snapped Guelph’s two game winning streak. The Storm look to get back on track when they face the Owen Sound Attack on Wednesday.

About this article

Posted: Oct 23 2016 10:25 pm
Filed under: Amateur Hockey Sports