Toronto Police are warning the public after dishwashing pods were discovered in children’s candy bags on Halloween.
Children, who were trick-or-treating with their parents in the Prescott Avenue, Blackthorn Avenue and Rockwell Avenue areas returned home and the dishwashing pods were found in their bags, police said.
“If swallowed, detergent in even small amounts can be caustic and cause burns to the mouth, throat and airways,” according to a police press release.
Shayan Gharibizadeh, who takes his little sister out trick-or-treating, said this reported occurrence concerns him.
“Trick-or-treating is meant for kids, and they’re expecting candy,” Gharibizadeh said. “So if they find dishwashing pods they can mistake it for candy and eat it, which is dangerous.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police.