Malcolm’s last minute field goal puts Arrows in MLR playoff position

Toronto rugby union side finishes third in inaugural year

The Toronto Arrows celebrating their win after beating RUNY 22-20 in final regular season game, last Sunday. The victory sent the club to the playoffs. Shannon Pakulis

Toronto Arrows beat Rugby United New York 22-20 on Sam Malcolm’s last-minute game winning field goal on Sunday, putting the hosts in a playoff position.

After winning their seventh game in a row the Arrows (11-5-0) remain third in Major League Rugby with 57 points.

Toronto (11-5-0) now meets second placed Seattle Seawolves (11-4-1) who have 58 points after their 38-26 win over Austin Elite.

Second Half scrum in RUNY’s end. (SHANNON PAKULIS)

Arrows were down 20-19 in the latter part of the second half. Toronto was in RUNY’s end but couldn’t seem to break past their defensive line to get that last try which would’ve given them a bonus point.

Malcolm made the wise decision to kick the ball for a field goal and put the Arrows ahead at the 77th minute.

Toronto didn’t have the best start to the match.

Five minutes into the game RUNY winger Michael St Claire scored a try after he was passed the ball and jolted up the right side of the field to touch it down in Toronto’s try zone. With the conversion made by fly half Cathal Marsh RUNY was up 7-0.

Arrows captain Dan Moor scoring the first try for Toronto. (Shannon Pakulis)

Ten minutes later captain Dan Moor put five points on the board for Toronto after the ball was passed down the line all the way out to to the captain who touched it down on the right side of New York’s try zone.

Spencer Jones then dotted the ball down in the middle of RUNY’s try zone five minutes later after Toronto’s forwards put pressure in the rucks to keep possession of the ball and gain distance. With a conversion by Malcolm the Arrows were up 12-7 going into half time.

Spencer Jones celebrating his try for the Toronto Arrows. (Shannon Pakulis)

At the 42nd minute RUNY flanker John Quill touched the ball down in the middle of Toronto’s try zone for an easy conversion made by Marsh which put New York ahead 14-12.

Points were gained for RUNY after Marsh completed two penalty kicks raising the score for New York to 20-12.

At the 65th minute Andrew Ferguson scored a try after multiple attempts made by Toronto to break through RUNY’s defensive line but they stood their ground.

The Arrows weren’t making much distance with this strategy until Ferguson saw the opening and just barely crossed the try line. With Malcolm’s conversion Toronto wasn’t far behind RUNY with a score of 19-20.

Michael St Claire disappointed after loss to the Toronto Arrows. (SHANNON PAKULIS)

The last few minutes of the match the Arrows again spent a lot of time in New York’s end zone but they still had trouble breaking through RUNY’s defensive line.

A tactical switch saw the hosts a fourth try in order to get the bonus point Malcolm made the smart choice to kick for a field goal, putting the Arrows up 22-20 with less than three minutes left in the match.

Sam Malcolm celebrating try by Spencer Jones. (Shannon Pakulis)

A record crowd of 3,218 fans at Lamport Stadium celebrated with the Toronto Arrows on the field after the game.



Interviews with Dan Moor, Steven Ng, and Sam Malcolm.


About this article

Posted: Jun 5 2019 1:22 pm
Filed under: Rugby Sports