East Toronto: then and now

A comparison of landmarks, ranging from the 1800s to present day

Certain landmarks in the Beaches and East York have been part of their neighbourhoods for generations, some since the 1800s. Some locations have remained perfectly preserved for more than a century, while others are unrecognizable. Historical photos are courtesy of the City of Toronto Archives.

comparison photo of saint savior church
St. Savior’s Anglican Church, in 1893, and more than 130 years later, in 2024. (Sierra Tavener/Toronto Observer)
comparison of malvern collegiate
East Toronto High School, since renamed, in 1906, against a new and much-expanded 2024 Malvern Collegiate Institute. (Sierra Tavener/Toronto Observer)
Comparison of malvern cenotaph
Orangeman Hugh Boyd laying a wreath on the Malvern cenotaph to honour students who died in World War One, compared to the present-day cenotaph statue, whose sword has been stolen and replaced multiple times. (Sierra Tavener/Toronto Observer)
comparison of main street fire hall over the years
Main Street fire hall, circa 1900, and Main Street fire hall in 2024. (Sierra Tavener/Toronto Observer)
old vs new kew beach fire hall
Kew Beach fire hall in 1905, and Kew beach fire hall, 2024. The building has been renovated, but the original clock tower was preserved. (Sierra Tavener/Toronto Observer)
glen manor comparison
Houses at 48-80 Glen Manor Road, inset in 1929 and 2024. (Sierra Tavener/Toronto Observer)
old vs new danforth and dawes
The Empringham Hotel, at the Southwest corner of Danforth Avenue and Dawes Road, inset in 1907, and the Pizza Nova that occupies the exact same corner today. (Sierra Tavener/Toronto Observer)

About this article

Posted: Mar 24 2024 9:00 am
Filed under: News